Tuesday, September 26, 2006

o.O

Yesterday I was messaged over MSN with this 'heres a little bit of advice for you although its going to fall on deaf ears anyway. being smart is good, but being too smart for your own good is not.'

Yes, that is what Gideon was talking about. I obviously met this with my usual retorts 'oh are you talking about yourself? take your own advice'. And after approximately 5 minutes, it struck me why I was replying like that.

The statement reminded me of pubs in DOTA who sprout nonsense. As Gideon put it, is it possible for anyone to be too smart for their own good? It's like saying 'Being pretty is good, but being too pretty for your own good is not.' It's like, even if it's possible for someone to be too smart for their own good, what CAN they do about it? Stop being smart?

Btw, I feel this is a very apt blog to post this on, especially since the three contributors are from GEP. Yes. There are THREE of us. WE don't see a problem with that. And that is all that matters. So back to this smart issue, I guess at least the Ministry of Education in Singapore thinks we all are intelligent. (Unless we happen to be one of those test subjects with an average IQ rumours say MOE planted in the GEP. For statistical or observational purposes or whatever. No confirmation that these people actually exist.) I am not publically announcing my intelligence (or lack of). I don't believe in such things. Many days, I don't feel all that intelligent at all (I blame you, cells. Stop dying on me!) But since MOE believes I am of somewhat above average intelligence, can I possibly be too smart for my own good?

I seriously don't think so. I feel a person can 'waste their intelligence' by not making use of it. I also think that people who think they are smarter than they really are, and proclaim this belief of theirs to the world may be, well, digging a hole for themselves. But neither of this relates to the statement of '
too smart for your own good'.

There is only one possible scenario I can see about people being 'too smart for their own good'. My primary school teacher told my class about this guy who managed to introduce poison into can drinks in an almost undectable way, and managed to kill people with his concoction. But apparently that guy had an extra Y chromosome (XYY genotype) which, while making him ultra intelligent, also gave him violent tendencies. No, I can't really confirm this story, but it's true that guys with the XYY genotype are very smart, and very violent. So possibly, these guys are too smart for their own good. (Rest assured, I have at least 2 X chromosomes so I won't find a devious way to kill you if you show your disagreement with my post.)

So yes, possibly, in these rare cases, you can be too smart for your own good. But I'm female. And I don't use my intelligence to scheme about how to deal with my next victim (unless you are my opponent at the bridge table muahahaha). But just to give it the benefit of the doubt, let's say that it IS possible for me to be too smart for my own good.

Then what am I going to do about it? What CAN I do about it? I am not going to try to reduce my 'smartness' in anyway. (Ok if a piece of my brain was really what you wanted, and I don't doubt that removing a piece of it would make me less intelligent, you should have just said so instead? Not that I would have agreed of course, but it would have made matters so much clearer =P). I don't think it actually possible, other than by horrible physical trauma. So then. How is that statement 'a little bit of advice'?

No clue at all. I actually spent the some thing giggling over it. Yes, I am easily amused. But my friend's reply to that statement when I showed it to him was really classic. '
its just rhetoric isnt it? by definition anything "too" already isnt good. its not very clever also. tell us something we dont know!' Which sent me into peals of laughter once more.

Let me introduce you to my amazing friend, Jason Lee. He stands at a whopping 1.8+m, while I am but a miniscule 1.55m.

He is now stationed in Japan, where he attracts insects to himself in the night. He freaked out over a spider in his bathroom or kitchen or something the other day, and tried very hard to kill it. Here is a picture of the poor spider. Yes, someone 1.8m tall is so scared of a spider that he had to soap it to death =X. Ok fine I might actually have tried that to get rid of it.


And shortly after, a giant centipede visited him while he slept. That was really freaky. In the picture below, the paper is A4-sized.



Apparently it was damn hard to kill, and was still alive when flushed down the toilet bowl >.<. And best, Jason says he found out that they live in groups.

Jason, you want to come back to Singapore. Now. Really. You may be the first lab partner I've ever had who actually admitted to anyone that he/she missed me. Well guess what. I miss you now. So ditch that place in Japan next to the forrest or mountain or whatever with all those crazy insects and come back here.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home