Monday, September 25, 2006

First Day at School! Wheeee!

Well, I should start of with saying, if you're considering studying in Chicago, please don't, lose your health booklet. Chicago has this mandatory policy that everyone there should have 2 doses of MMR and Tetanus. So, I have the unfortunate priviledge of being the only Singaporean to appear for the mandatory jabs. The MMR one still hurts even though I took it like 3 days ago. Bleah. The PE test and lugging 2 bags full of files & books and staplers and what not from a supermarket 1 km away probably contributes to the general aching in my left arm now, but, whatever.

Classes started with Economics. I guess they put it as the first lesson on a Monday so as to whip us quickly into studying mood after doing whatever over the weekend. The material covered seemed quite difficult, but the lecturer was this cute lecturer who was born in China, but speaks with an American accent. She couldn't be more than 5-6 years older than me! (don't women like compliments which imply they look younger than they actually are *giggle*). Oh. yeah, I like what she said: In this class I won't downgrade grades, so if all of you deserve an A, you all would get an A.
Of course, we were taught that everything after the word 'but' is what actually counts.
'But, I would expect about maybe 3-4 of you to get an A'.
What a nice way to start a lesson in University. I pity those poor scholars who have that 3.8 minimum to meet. 'San Ba' they call it.
Anyway, she is quite a funny teacher and appeared very confident. I wonder if I will feel that way if Sophia teaches me Biology or I will hate the subject even more *giggle* wahahaha.

Maths and Stats were next. Well. Nothing to say about'em. Suffice to say, I was totally lost when they started talking about set theory.

Finally, I had humanities. It was interesting, to put it nicely. I am currently doing Greek Thought and Literature, but I am totally clueless when a poem written by some strange sounding name is passed around and we have to engage in a discussion on it. Now. My class is entirely non-Singaporeans, other than me. All the Singaporeans fled to other philosophical perspective in dunno what or World Literature. I have NO idea why they like those 2 topics. Anyway everyone else in the class seemed so interesting and 'connected' to the poem and I was like, um ok. I better say something. Class dicussion = 15% and it will be pretty bad if the professor doesn't know you at the end of 11 weeks. Oh! The good news! The grade for this class is determined by 3 papers, each of which we have about 2-3 weeks to write, and we can rewrite and rewrite and rewrite and rewrite(for me) them as much as we wanted and he will keep grading. There are even 4th years who ran back to him to remark their essay in order to get a better grade. sheesh.

When mentioning about academic integrity, he brought up this story:
Apparently there was a student, who unknowingly(stupidly) copied an essay written about some really tragic greek text. And the person who wrote that essay happened to be his professor some 40 years ago. Now, so what did the professor do? He called the chap to his office, and went 'The essay which you copied from me, was written 40 years ago, when I was having a difficult period as I was having a divorce with a 2nd wife, not so amicably, and the essay was one I never wanted them to publish. So, unfortunately, I feel really bad about the text and have to give you a D.'
(Note to self: I will probably die from Lit unless I start begging the Lit S distinction people here for help. Time to treat them to breakfast)

Anyway, Monday is the worst day of the week for me and I look forward to the other days, mainly because, the total number of lessons I have on the other days is about the same as the number of lessons I have on Monday >.<

Oh. Finally, quote of the day(not said to me, but said to a friend by another rather pissed person).
'being smart is good , but being too smart for your own good is not'

Is it possible to be too smart for your own good?*giggle*

Gideon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home