Thursday, September 28, 2006

Honours for Partner

My bridge partner who is mentioned most frequently in the Psyching post steadfastly refuses to read my posts. Hmpf. So I had to tell him what I wrote about him, and once again poke fun at him for never having honours in his bid suit. He looked pained and put on this innocent face and said 'butbutbut...'

Then he proceeded to remind me that once I went to bid a 7C grand slam because of his sudden introduction of clubs to the picture at the 5 level. Why did I do this? Because I figured that if he could bid clubs at the 5 level, he should have length in clubs, and at least one of the top 3 honours in the suit. Holding AQJ10 in his suit, it would nearly be a crime not to bid the grand for him to play. Especially since 7C appears to be HIS contract (also have no idea why. Ernie, did you arrange for this?) I almost fainted from sheer incredulity when he decided to play the Ace of clubs from my hand (dummy) on the first round of trumps, and DROPPED THE OFFSIDE SINGLETON KING OF CLUBS, making the 7C.

Amazingly in another session, against the same opponents, this partner of mine preempted 2S, and I was like yay my partner prempted while vulnerable without any of the honours in spades. Again. Because I was holding the spade AKQJx. And so we missed the grand slam because I decided not to ask for the number of kings my partner had I was too traumatised by my partner. He actually claims to be embarrassed when the lead of the 10 of spades showed that he didn't have any of the top 5 of his prempted suit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home