Monday, October 09, 2006

A Dedication to Lee Ruichen

After this long absence from blogging, I have once again been induced to write something. Watching Ally McBeal for some reason sucks all inspiration out of me to write anything. I'm not sure why. Maybe she makes me think too much about myself and my life, not that she has inspired me to do anything much about it =P. Probably it's like all that I could say about it has been said in the show. Hmm...

So back to the topic of this post, yes, Lee Ruichen, this post, being for you and about you, is dedicated to you. If you take a look in the tagboard on the right, she is the one who came to this page asking who the owner of the blog is, and asking me to buy seaweed for her. She is the youngest kid I give tuition to, and is the 3rd of 4 sisters. And the most challenging to teach of the lot.

Ruichen turned 10 recently, and has been bugging me for a birthday present since before that until now. She obviously doesn't consider me cancelling tution on her birthday a present (damn! =P), and I don't think a post dedicated all to her will do. (But I try, nevertheless.) I lent her 2 Narnia books to read and told her that I would give her the present when she finishes at least one of them. As yet, both her elder sisters have finished both books, but she hasn't completed either. She wanted to get her ears pierced for her birthday, but her mother didn't allow her to. I offered to get her dangly earrings and scotchtape as a present so she could tape them to her ears and look pretty, and she screamed at me. When her 2nd sister told me that she liked seafood, I offered to give her a $50 seafood voucher, and she screamed at me again. So I told her that her sister said she liked seafood, and she screamed at her sister.

If any of you didn't grow up with sisters, or have forgotten how piercing a little girl's (or possibly your own) screams can be, picture, hmm, some kind of slaughter scene (pigs maybe?), and add approximately 20 decibels to that. Ruichen is louder than all of her sisters combined. Even the one in kindergarten. She has freaked out one of my bridge partners who called me during one of my tuitions and got her on the phone instead, simply because she screamed at him. Yes, she stunned someone who kept insisting that little kids are cute. Into utter silence. Well. Maybe he DID have something to say to her, but she promptly screamed more and hung up on him. (Well done, Ruichen! =D)

Ruichen knows of the existence of Ernie, and keeps trying to get to see Ernie and talk to her. Actually, she HAS seen Ernie before (because all of them wanted to heehee), and has talked to her before, but her curiosity hasn't been satisfied yet. I suspect Ruichen wants me to bring Ernie to tuition because I told her Ernie used to do my Maths homework for me, and she wants Ernie to do hers for her too. Last Sunday, as an answer to some Science question, she wrote 'Heat and Ernie caused the ice to melt.' Yes, she spelt Ernie with a capital E. Ernie approves =P.

I also believe Ruichen was the one who said that slugs like dark places because they are allergic to the sun. When I marked her wrong, she pored over the question, and decided that they stayed out of the sun because they didn't want to get skin cancer. I really have no idea why, considering this was a multiple choice question. Maybe she was just thinking outside the box, like they are emphazing we do nowadays. She is definitely intelligent, being able to draw 3D shapes (the Mathematical kind) that some of my JC students had trouble with.

And yes, she is the most troublesome student I have, because I have yet to find a way to tap into that massive amount of intellect she is hiding. I know I can't expect a primary 4 kid to sit down and do work quietly for more than 1 hour, but she is capable of PMSing (without even being mature enough to) at irregular intervals for no reason at all (ok fine, PMS is a reason in itself, but she can't possibly be suffering from that >.<).

All that said, she's actually been the most cooperative of the 3 sisters I give tuition to, in that she actually raised the grades I put down as an expectation for her final results (no, I didn't underestimate her, I just forgot that band 1 was 85, not 80), instead of insisting that it is impossible to get A for Maths, or that aiming for a 265 PSLE score was out of the question. At least she understands that goals are something you have yet to attain, and can work towards attaining =).

And starting from the next tuition, Ruichen is going to have the session alone, instead of with her 2nd sister, who will have been done with her PSLE. Ruichen, is this why you spilled Ribena all over her room and her last week? I'm sure she won't tease you too much about having tuition when she doesn't have to *gigglez*.

Ernie: Hello Ruichen!

Oh well heehee. Shall end of here saying the things I always say before leaving your house. Read the book! (Oh and please find your Science textbook too!)

P.S. There has been a request for your photo to be put up so that people can see how cute you are. Ok. Possibly only that ONE person wants to know how adorable you look. Ehhhh... wait... I think I can just show him that picture in my phone lalalala...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home