Tuesday, November 03, 2009

As the Ball Flies

When the ball is in your court, there are several things you can do with it. You can opt to hit it back or you can let it drop to the ground. That is, if you notice the ball in the first place.

An ex-colleague of mine posted up this video on facebook and wondered "why a girl would humiliate herself lidat .. even after she's fallen?" I assume she was referring to Riz Low and not Rozz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpHoHJ4DFIQ

My first thought after reading that comment: Huh, you mean never fall can humiliate herself liddat ah?
After watching the clip, I didn't really get the impression that Shan and Rozz were out to humiliate Riz Low. I tune in to the Shan and Rozz show on 98.7 quite alot (at least every working Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday), and have noticed that they quite like to "insult" each other, and themselves, quite abit.
Just on yesterday's (02 November 2009) show, Rozz said that due to her being heavily made up when she took her passport photograph, she sometimes gets questioned as to whether the passport belongs to her at the airport should she not wear makeup. Of course, that led to Shan asking if she scared the officer with her looks. And I've heard the pair talking about Rozz's chest (or lack thereof) several times.
People crack jokes at the expense of others, or even themselves, from time to time. Its all in the name of fun. Some students in one of my classes 'put down' people who manage to get the answers to questions correct by saying 'So smart! Must be from Eden!' Said students do not exempt themselves from such 'humiliation'.
So why would people not view Shan and Rozz's behaviour in the interview in a negative manner? Perhaps I need to go back to something I experienced in my secondary school years for an answer. In my secondary school, and at home for that matter, if the people around me did something wrongly, it was not uncommon for them to be teased as 'stupid'. In fact, in secondary 1, my classmates called each other 'spastic' and 'moronic' for FLPJ. Thus, I was rather taken aback when a friend from another school told me that I had to stop saying that his friends were 'stupid', because they sincerely thought I meant it. Not because of my character, but because of the school I came from.
Could it be possible that some people are empathising with Riz Low, as being not very academically inclined, she would likely feel that Shan and Rozz, with their wonderful accents and great command of the English Language, are humiliating her with their words?
A follow up comment to that clip by a friend of said ex-colleague asked "doesn't she know that they are making fun of her?"

I can think of several different ways to answer that question.

No, a person can't notice she is being made fun of if she is NOT being made fun of.
No, she didn't but she couldn't care less if she was being made fun of.
Yes, but she recognises that Shan and Rozz are just playing around and her sense of humour allows her to fully participate in the joke.
Yes, but she feels that Shan and Rozz are lesser beings, thus their opinions are of no concern to her.
Yes, but she feels that Shan and Rozz do not have such a deep understanding of fashion as she does, hence she forgives them their trespasses.

Well, exactly what were you expecting as an answer?

Balls are best hit over the net with racquets. If one does not posses the required racquet for ball play, one had best not participate. And if one does not understand the rules of the game he/she is watching, he/she should refrain from judging the players. Especially if he/she does not know what the aim of the game is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home